Large jobs or team projects can be a disaster at times, and the reason is simple, usually these jobs are distributed in different areas, and bringing everything together at the same time can cause confusion.
However, one of the applications that helps us solve this problem is Slack, make yourself comfortable because in this article we will explain what is Slack and how to download it. Before we start, we would like to give you a little introduction.
Launched in August 2013. Slack is a messaging platform that is defined as “an application to facilitate teamwork communication”, since it gives us the possibility to divide chat rooms by topic, these rooms are called “Channels”, and make all conversations more organized.
You can use this tool to work together more effectively and access stored information from different services without much difficulty, all within a good business environment.
Now that you have a better context, we will proceed to go into detail with the most important functions of this app:
With Slack, you can create a conversation group and add people who want to join. This may seem similar to many messaging applications, however, what makes it really special is the “Channels” system. With this feature, you can divide a group into different topics, which will make the conversations more organized.
Slack’s search engine is one of the most useful tools that will help you find almost anything that is stored in the group, such as files or sent messages. It also allows you to initiate voice calls with group members, as well as share what is happening on our screen at any time.
Automating processes will be easy through the use of bots. Bots can do tasks for you, and there are a variety of them, there are bots that can keep track of your expenses, bots that welcome new group members, bots that ask about your mood, and so on.
If you see any important message you don’t want to forget, you can mark it for a reminder. If you press “Remind me about this” next to a special message and select a time, the application will notify you later so that you can take it into account. The time intervals for the reminder are 20 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, the next day, or the next week.
One of the most common ways to personalize your group is by creating your own emojis. You can do this by selecting “add custom emoji”, where you can load images you have stored on your device and create a library of emojis that you can use at any time.
It has a function to add external applications so that they are within our reach, and you don’t have to go from one application to another. You can use this to take documents or data that is stored in other services without having to close Slack.
A tip for very active users, is to customize the notifications from preferences. This way, you will not be receiving them every time. You can decide whether to disable them, receive them only when they mention specific words, receive them when they say your name or only when they send you direct messages, etc. Adjust them to your liking.
How to download Slack from an official site
The good thing is that Slack is one of the most accessible messaging applications you can find. It’s available for a wide variety of computers, Windows, Mac, Linux, and mobile devices such as Android and iOS. It is a 100% free app, if you are a Windows PC user you can download it from its official website.
We will leave you a small installation guide for mobile devices with the following steps:
- Access the respective store depending on your mobile device, App Store or Play Store, and look for the “Slack” app.
However, to make this step faster you can access from your phone to the direct link as Android or iOS user.
Download Slack for Android devices
Download Slack for iOS devices
- Download it by pressing the “Download” or “Install” button depending on how it appears on the screen.
After you tap on it, a window will pop up asking you for permissions to access other apps. You must accept them in order to download this app.
- When the app is downloaded, it will be automatically installed, and you will be ready to start your projects with your colleagues.
Main uses given by the users
As we had mentioned, this application is commonly used under business purposes, to make the distribution of work simpler. Slack is also chosen because of its ability to search for all uploaded files around the group.
Generally, a workspace is divided into the following structure:
Owners: They are the ones who create the group and establish the rules.
Administrators: They are assigned by the owners, they are in charge of helping maintaining an order with the permissions they grant.
Members: Are able to send messages, files and make voice calls.
Guests: They can send messages and files but only in specific channels.
Advantages of the app
- It is the perfect application for teamwork communication, with a friendly environment where you can interact with your colleagues and friends.
- You can upload files to the cloud and share them with group members.
- You can create channels with no limit of participants in the free version.
- The function of adding external applications makes everything efficient.
- It is a free application that anyone can download.
- It supports a wide variety of devices.
- It allows us to make voice calls or video conferences with any member of the workspace.
- We can share our screen in real time.
- High possibilities of personalization to create our work spaces.
Disadvantages of the app
- It doesn’t let us see the last connection status of the users.
- You can lose a lot of unsaved information if the time line has grown considerably.
Conversations can end up in distractions, which is bad for productivity.